12 Gifts of Christmas Day 3: Company Communicator+ App
On the third day of Christmas, Engage Squared gave to me…a way to share news and cheer!
What is it?
As we move increasingly into a hybrid world, thanks to the pandemic (Omicron please don’t be a Grinch), the need for widescale, instantaneous communication within organisations from leaders and communications specialists has grown exponentially. Whether it’s to announce new initiatives, assist with employee onboarding, or maintain culture, it’s important to have the right tools get these messages out quickly and efficiently – without the need to rely solely on email.
We’ve all felt the pain of mass emailing, especially in this context. It’s clunky and might not give you the results you want. Plus it doesn’t give communicators the right visibility of whether messages are landing in the right way. It’s difficult to target messaging to audiences, track active engagement, and open rates.
Of course, Microsoft, in true Microsoft form, has created an app to resolve these issues, and we loved it so much that we decided to add some new features to it! Based on the Microsoft Company Communicator App template, let us present to you our Company Communicator+ App! It’s an extension of the already much-loved Company Communicator App where, like the original app, you can send messages to multiple, targeted audiences directly to Teams chat or channels, but this time, with a few added features.
How does it work?
At its core, the Company Communicator+ App is a Teams app that you deploy into your environment. From here, you can easily create messages within Teams, where staff such as senior leaders or coporate communications professionals can collaborate, create, preview, and send broad-scale messages to the entire company or target groups. There are four main parts to this:
1. Message creation
The message creation itself allows for eye-catching, rich, markdown-supported messages for your audience, with a call-to-action prompt.
Screenshots of the Company Communicator+
2. Audience targeting
You can then pick from four options to target your audience, where you can send to:
- General channel of selected teams
- 1:1 chat to members of selected teams
- All users who have the app installed
- M365 groups, distribution lists and security groups
Screenshot of the Company Communicator+
3. Message metrics
Once your message has been sent, you can analyse the reach and performance of your message with key metrics, as well as exporting detailed results.
Screenshots of the Company Communicator+
4. Customisation features
To give you more flexibility, creativity, and autonomy over your messaging, as well as opening up discussions for audiences, we have made a few enhancements to the app including:
- Editing sent messages
- Deleting sent messages
- Providing full message history to new users
- Image uploads
- Image resizing
- Enabling replies
- Importance flagging
Screenshot of Company Communicator+
What problems does it solve?
The main problem this app solves is cutting through the noise that comes with hybrid working by meeting your employees where they work, in an efficient, time sensitive way. As we progressively move away from email, it increases the likelihood that messages are read and acted upon, while also encouraging active engagement and discussion.
In a nutshell, you can say ‘see ya!’ to:
- Clunky, mass emailing that might not be relevant to all employees
- Rigid, inflexible message formatting
- Lack of engagement, or audiences missing the message completely
- Lack of information on metrics and behaviours around messaging, therefore no opportunity to assess and improve communication approaches if need be
- Difficulty keeping track of threads
And ‘oh hey there!’ to:
- Seamless, targeted, flexible, audience-specific messaging
- Creative and engaging content with a call to action
- Instantaneous connection with your target audiences in chat format
- A space that encourages replies, discussion, and questions
- Visibility around messaging and engagement patterns so you can tweak your approach
- Easy access to historical messages
- Second chances at messaging if information is incorrect
How to get started
For tech-savvy people, you can get started for free and host your own version of the app, by following the details available on GitHub.
If you need more help, Engage Squared can deploy the Company Communicator+ into your environment, and customise the app to meet your specific needs. We can also help with the change management activities and ongoing support of the solution.
To learn more about how we can help, get in touch.